Shawn,

I do see your point. And I do pretty much agree.

In a perfect world we'd treat Open Sourse Software development as a
national resource, supported by independents, consortiums, private
companies and quasi-independent tax supported Open Source Institutes.

I see no reason why not to tie Open Source development to national
universities. It offers free development tools, it would be good
funding, and all resulting projects would end up helping build the
national infrastructure, especially in poor countries. Stupid
governments will decide to dictate what projects should be worked on and
see their stuff fail. Smart governments will manage their needs with
funding for 'needed' areas. This is probably too idealistic, but I'd
like to see universities get famous for open source encryption programs,
while others become famous for file system design or Interface design.

I wish I was in a position to make a submission to Codeweavers. I am
trying to learn more about Linux and OSS in general without causing my
brain to segfault....

Samir M. Nassar
'Open Source, Open Systems, Open Borders, Open Minds'