"Austad, Jay" <austad at marketwatch.com> writes:

> What's a good tool to use to monitor if a particular process is running, and
> then restart it if it dies?
>
> Preferably a perl or a shell script as I don't have compilers on the box I
> need to use it on, and I want to stay far far away from DJB's daemontools.

Whatcha got against daemontools?  I see less reason to object to them
than to qmail; while I use and like qmail, I can see why it wouldn't
fit other environments well.  But daemontools really do their nice
simple job very cleanly.  However, if your mind's made up never mind.

Some kinds of things can be started directly from init, which will
restart them if they die if configured right; that might work for your
situation, don't know enough details.

Otherwise I think you're in the business of reinventing daemontools
only getting it right (by your standards).  If you do that, I'd love
to see the results, maybe that would tell me clearly what you don't
like about daemontools, and I'm sure I'd learn something.  Because I
can't remember hearing about another package that does exactly that.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  Ghugle: the Fannish Ghod of Queries
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net