On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:44:59PM -0600, Scott Dier wrote:
> Many of us appreciate the little blurbs.

[Refering to the original text included with replies]

> I would personally just watch your signal/noise ratio.  If theres a
> bit more quoting than actual text, trim the quoting down a bit.

That's my point.  There's little reason to include the original text in
a reply if you're not going to actually reference it.  Dave illustrated
a great example of this where one line of text is followed by the entire
original message.  No one appreciates this "blurb".  Quote text,
certainly, but be selective about it.  Consciously decide to include
text with the intent of /editing/!

To those that gave sarcastic comments about bandwidth, it's not even a
point to consider; the barbs fall short of sticking.  It's simple
netiquette and signal:noise ratios.  We're a technical crowd on this
list, and IMHO feel that we should hold ourselves to a bit higher
standards than more "general" lists.

If we need to write up a List Policy, I'm all for it.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)