On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 02:38:38PM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > After doing the above, metakeys still don't work.  Anyone have metakeys
> > working in XFree86 at all?  Any help/info/shots-in-the-dark greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> I do, but my methods are such that I don't know whether they'll do
> you any good...
>
> I'm using the Win95 keys in WindowMaker on Debian.  The left Windows
> key is recognized as being Mod4 and functions normally as a meta.
> The right Windows key is recognized as Multi_key (and it was a real
> pain trying to get it to work until I realized that this meant "a key
> named multi" rather than "multiple keys have been pressed").  The
> menu key is, quite sensibly, acknowledged as "Menu".

Actually, this was more helpful than you think.  It turns out that
my left Windows key _does_ have the 'mod4' modifer name.  I got it working
for X applications doing the following:

    1) xmodmap -e "add mod4 = Meta_L"

The above, for whatever reason, bound _both_ Meta_L and Alt_L to mod4, so I
had to make a slight adjustment:

    2) xmodmap -e "remove mod4 = Alt_L"

So, left meta works in X apps, but I still can't get it to work in a term.
For example, I can fire up emacs in X-mode (the default) and use M-% to
initiate a query replace, but if I fire up emacs-nox (yes in an xterm
started _after_ I modified the keymaps), it still doesn't work.
Hopefully, more replies will get me to the metakey Utopia I so desire :)

Thanks!

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu