Well, I've been pulling my hair out all morning (for those of you that
know me, that's no trivial task) trying to use the 'Windows' keys on my
keyboard as metakeys.

I'm using RedHat 7.2 with Xfree 4.1, IIRC.  I've tried with multiple
terminal emulations (e.g. xterm, rxterm-color, vt100, rxvt) and multiple
terms (xterm, rxvt, etc), with no luck at all.  I've tried getting it to
just work in emacs and xemacs with no luck either.

What I've done:

    1) Used 'xev' to get the keycodes for my windows keys (turned out to be
       115 for the left key and 116 for the right.

    2) Created a .keymaps file containing

	keycode 115 = Meta_L
	keycode 116 = Meta_R

    3) loaded the keymaps with 'xmodmap .keymaps'

    4) Checked to make sure the maps got set (xmodmap -pk), they are:

	115         0xffe7 (Meta_L)
	116         0xffe8 (Meta_R)

After doing the above, metakeys still don't work.  Anyone have metakeys
working in XFree86 at all?  Any help/info/shots-in-the-dark greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu