Quoting admin at support.lctn.k12.mn.us (admin at support.lctn.k12.mn.us):
> The server is RedHAt 7.1. I am running the local www domain on port 80. It
> is using Iptables, but allows some basics, including port 80. On the
> surface it looks like I can't run squid on 80, since my initial post
> describes my woes. As mentioned, if I move squid back to port 3128, and
> leave the website on port 80, everything works great. The workstations
> (lots), have been hard set to run on 10.100.100.130:80. On IE, I could just
> do a regedit in my login script, but many have Netscape. So I'm guessing
> everyone agrees, I have no choice but to change the port on each
> workstation, or at least set each one to auto proxy???

Check your iptables config, I bet you'll see some logging about port 3128. If
you run the web server on port 80, you'll not be able to run the proxy on port
80.

Since I think IE sucks, I don't know how to config it to use the .pac file, but
under mozilla you can go to Edit->Preference->Advanced->Proxies and choose
automatic proxy configuration URL, just put a file like this on your web server
and plug the url into the automatic proxy configuration.

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
        return "PROXY 10.100.100.130:3128";
}

Bit the bullet and change your IE browsers to look here as well.
--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500