Dave Sherohman <esper at sherohman.org> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:15:40AM -0600, John J. Trammell wrote:
> >  - have /bin, /etc, /sbin, and /usr on read-only media (CD-R?)
> >  - have /home, /root, and /var on disk (maybe as little as 2 Gb?)
>
> In the event of problems, you could have a bit of trouble getting the
> machine back up to fix it if /bin, /etc, /sbin, /lib, and /root
> aren't all on the root partition.
>
> Also, if /bin, /sbin, /lib, and/or /usr are on read-only media, you
> can't update software as security patches are released.  Granted, an
> intruder won't be able to plant trojaned binaries, but they'll still
> be able to trash /home and /var.

I know sysadmins who have hacked a hardware write-protect switch for
SCSI drives.  It lets them have critical binaries on
physically-protected read-only media, and still update them.  To be
really safe, you can't do the update remotely though, since a true
paranoid would disconnect the network and reboot (from the read-only
media) before enabling write.

Can this be done for IDE?  Maybe an adapter that plugs between the
drive and the cable and has the switch on it?  I have no idea what the
lines in the cable are.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  Ghugle: the Fannish Ghod of Queries
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net