Quoting DACross at nwc.edu (DACross at nwc.edu):

> Does anyone have any recommendations for log analysis? We're planning to
> have one Linux machine collect syslog data for a number of servers but we
> need something to weed through the VERY large log files that will be
> generated.
>
> I thought I remembered some discussion about this a while ago so I searched
> through the list archives, but didn't find anything. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Make sure logcheck is installed, by default it runs through the logs once a day
and emails you a report. It's very chatty. At Real Time we have had to turn down
the chattiness.

Also, run swatch on your log files for real time notification/alters to issues.
Just ssh to the loghost and keep swatch running all the time.
--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500