On Thursday 21 March 2002 16:17, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Since I have never used exchange or exchange's public folders I cannot
> answer this question.
>
> Can a linux news server replace the functionality of exchange's public
> folders?

Aren't they some sort of IMAP entity? I thought I remember reading that you
could create shared mailboxes with IMAP. If so I'd suspect that's more like
what you've got with Exchange.

That said, (reaches to the bookshelf) Jon Udell in the book "Practical
Internet Groupware" talks about some creative uses for news(NNTP) servers.
One of the things he talks about is making sure the news readers are HTML
compatible (example: Netscape) then you can do some pretty interesting
collaborative stuff with news servers. Since news messages can carry just
about anything using encoding then you could use them as a
storage/transmission mechanism for that material.  Limitation are more likely
client side with what can be read. Using <insert language of choice with NNTP
extensions here> you can build your own clients, or even build a web
application that serves the information straight to a browser.

So I guess my answer would be, yes. ;-)

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com