On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:55:08AM -0600, Erik Hanson wrote:
>Ok.  So many people have been saying "Debian needs a faster release" or
>"Redhat needs to release sooner to keep my system up to date".  And I am not
>picking on you Ben, your email was just the last one I got.  My question is,
>since this is all Linux, why can you not just upgrade what you want on your
>own?  You want the latest MySQL?  Down load it and install it.  Want latest
>PHP?  Download and install it.  Want latest kernel?  I think you see where I
>am going.  I mean, isn't that kida the point of linux?

If i wanted to do that, I'd run linux from scratch. I prefer redhat because it takes alot of the guesswork out of being an
admin. upgrading stuff you've installed from source can be cumbersome.

I never said I _couldn't_ do it this way, but why would I? This is the reason I elected to use a prepackaged distribution.

--
Ben Lutgens		http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
Sistina Software Inc.