<cite author="Erik Hanson">
> Ok.  So many people have been saying "Debian needs a faster release" or
> "Redhat needs to release sooner to keep my system up to date".  And I am not
> picking on you Ben, your email was just the last one I got.  My question is,
> since this is all Linux, why can you not just upgrade what you want on your
> own?  You want the latest MySQL?  Down load it and install it.  Want latest
> PHP?  Download and install it.  Want latest kernel?  I think you see where I
> am going.  I mean, isn't that kida the point of linux?
</cite>

That is the point. It seems like RH is not releasing the ISO images of
the enterprise version (Pensacola) for downloading, that is, they are
releasing it on CD only and can therefore charge for the distribution
(not the software itself, but everything else). I think Bob also
mentioned that they might be closing CVS access to the Enterprise level
as well. While this makes perfect sense from a business point of view,
it seems to strike a sour note with those people who would rather just
have the software without going through the trouble of supporting the
entity that maintains it.

Red Hat is not Debian. This is neither good, nor bad. Some people will
always like Debian, some will always like Red Hat, and some people will
use both because in the end a linux is a linux is a linux.

Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET - Open Source, Public Service
'Open Source, Open Systems, Open Borders, Open Minds'