On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 02:14:36PM -0600, Clay Fandre wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Jay Kline wrote:

> > > Edit /etc/motd
> >
> > That work with X?
> >

> No. Try xmessage. If you use gnome you can put it in the session
> startup programs.

Yeah, try xmessage in conjunction with notifyme:

4(sam) crumley% apt-cache show notifyme
Package: notifyme
 Notifyme is a GPL'ed Unix (tested under Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD)
 console  utility that stays in a background (it isn't a daemon but it
 doesn't  block terminal) and prints a message if a specified login
 and/or logout occurs. In a resource file ($HOME/notify.rc by default)
 you can specify (extended regular expressions are allowed) usernames,
 hostnames and terminals  that should be monitored, optional messages
 that will be displayed and other options (beep, report logouts etc.)
 See notifyrc.sample for examples. It should be self explanatory.