On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:02:38PM -0800, destr0 wrote:
> I'll give the problem first, specs second.
>
> When I try to issue the command:
> iptables -P input DENY
>
> I get the following error:
> iptables: Bad built-in chain name
>
> if I change it to:
> iptables -P INPUT DENY
>
> The error changes to:
> iptables:  Bad policy name
>
> It seems that if I change DENY to DROP, it accepts the rule.  It seems that
> the only TARGETS that I can apply are DROP and ACCEPT.  I'm not sure exactly
> what is going wrong.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Consulting "man iptables" I see that allowable targets are the "name of
a user-defined chain or one of the special values ACCEPT, DROP, QUEUE,
or RETURN." Thus, DROP and ACCEPT are valid, but DENY is not.

The older ipchains system used DENY, not DROP.

So far, all is working OK. What are you trying to accomplish?