On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 10:13:21AM -0600, mcolivier wrote:
> Hello, it's me again. I now find I'm having a more basic problem with gcc. A
> week or so ago, I typed in code for "Hello, World!" to see what happens. I
> did gcc hello.c on the source code file, in my shell environment, and then
> typed "hello" at the command prompt and got "Hello, World!"  Fine.

Side note:  Unless you actually mean that you typed "./hello" at the
prompt, you appear to have . in your path.  This is generally
considered to be a Bad Thing, as people could then put malicious
programs in arbitrary directories and you would then be able to
execute them unintentionally while in those directories.  Also, and
somewhat less esoterically, having . in $PATH means that the system
behaves differently depending on where your current working directory
is.

> I then installed some packages that seemed to be missing from glibc for gcc
> and make. I was able to get something to happen for a mysql program I'm
> working on (I think). However, I just now try to go back and do gcc on a
> program similar to Hello world to see if everything is working. I now get
> "Permission denied" error messages when I enter the compiled program name at
> the command prompt.

What does `ls -l hello` say?

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss