Getting sound to work on linux can be a pain, especially on newer
hardware.  Being not too familiar with either the Aureal Vortex or
Peanut linux, here are my half-hearted, shot-in-the-dark suggestions
(Google is your friend ...).

search for "au8810":
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&q=au8810

or maybe try "ALSA au8810":