jethro at freakzilla.com writes:

>   Hey,
>
> Quoting Ben Lutgens <blutgens at sistina.com>:
>
> > And what praytell would you use a shell service for? Personally I
> > prefer just opening up an xterm and doing my work on a machine I am
> > responsible for, but that's just me.
>
> Sometimes you want to check connectivity to your own systems from a remote
> system. Or at least that's what I needed an external shell for.

Yes, that's *extremely* useful.  For the last year or so I've had an
account on an acquaintance's machine, so I haven't used free shell
services for this, but looking at your own site from *outside* can be
critical to testing/debugging things.  I also used my *own* server for
that from several jobs.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  Ghugle: the Fannish Ghod of Queries
        Book log: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/Ouroboros/booknotes/