On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 10:07:33AM -0600, ming wrote:
> Just have a interesting little problem that I can't seem to find an answer for.
> The machine has 256MB of RAM. To get RH to install I had to use the mem=256m
> option. I then also have to add append="mem=256m" in lilo.conf but when ever i
> try to get an updated kernel via redhat updates it never recognizes all the mem
> even though the append bit is still in lilo.conf. I guess I have to do manual
> kernel updates? Or are there other options.

Kernel version 2.4 uses a different notation for specifying the
machine's memory configuration.  Richard Black's extensive Compaq/Linux
site has a writeup on this topic:

http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/memory.html

Joel

PS. If you were installing Debian (on ProLiant 1500), I would tell you
to check out my installation notes:

http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/memory.html