On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 03:36:17PM -0600, Jima wrote:
> >  David, check /etc/sysconfig/network .  There should be a line starting
> > with "HOSTNAME=".
>
> ...if you're running Red Hat.  Under Debian, /etc/sysconfig doesn't
> exist and the host name is stored in /etc/hostname.  IOW, the answer
> it distro-specific.

 Yep.  David said in his original post that he was using RedHat 7.2.  I
should have mentioned that my answer was specific to that distribution.
 Also, a common mistake with RedHat is assuming that the hostname is set
from /etc/HOSTNAME (as it contains the hostname) -- but even that's copied
from /etc/sysconfig/network at boot time.
 Convoluted?  Sure.

     Jima