On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Bob Gilbertson wrote:
> man hostname
>
> David Blevins wrote:
> > I've been searching linuxdoc but can't seem to find anything. If someone
> > could point me in the right the direction that would be great.
> >
> > I am trying to change the host name of the machine, is that even possible
> > after install?  I noticed that I spelled it wrong!!

 No, Bob, that'll only affect the hostname for the currently-running
session.  As soon as the system reboots, it'll go back to whatever the
hostname was at setup.
 David, check /etc/sysconfig/network .  There should be a line starting
with "HOSTNAME=".  Change that.  That'll take care of the hostname for
after you reboot.  The command 'hostname' will deal with it up until then.
 Also, restart syslogd if you want the new hostname (well, the short
name) to appear in the logs, instead of the old name.

     Jima