On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 12:55:07PM -0600, Mike Hicks wrote:
> I originally wanted to set up a neat web interface (probably running
> on my desktop) with an SQL backend and search functions, etc., which
> would control an icecast daemon or something similar.

By the creator of grip:

Package: digitaldj
Section: sound
Installed-Size: 212
Maintainer: Adam Klein <aklein at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.6-7.1
Depends: maplay3 | mpg123 | amp, libc6 (>= 2.2.4-2), libglib1.2 (>=
1.2.0), libgtk1.2 (>= 1.2.10-2), libmysqlclient10, xlibs (>> 4.1.0)
Recommends: grip
Suggests: mysql-server
Filename: pool/main/d/digitaldj/digitaldj_0.6-7.1_i386.deb
Size: 50030
MD5sum: 5f458bfa237dd89d3afb7742c6ff6eca
 DigitalDJ is an SQL-based front-end to the mpg123 mp3 player designed
 for people who want to create an mp3 version of their CD collection. It
 is designed to work with the Grip ripping/encoding application (but can
 be used separately). When Grip encodes mp3 files, it will place all of
 the song information into an SQL database. DigitalDJ can then use this
 information to create playlists based on a number of criteria.
 .
 You will need a MySQL server, which can either be on the local or a
 remote host.

However, if SQL isn't a requirement, and you'd like to use other
features, try this one on for size:

Package: mserv
Section: sound
Installed-Size: 504
Maintainer: David Kimdon <dwhedon at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.33-13
Depends: adduser, debconf (>>0.5.00), mpg321 | mpg123, libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), perl
Recommends: apache | httpd
Filename: pool/main/m/mserv/mserv_0.33-13_i386.deb
Size: 114714
MD5sum: e5b801683a3229f6955bf946751058d0
 Mserv is a music server designed to do a number of things better than most
 systems designed to play mp3s:
 .
  - Supports any type of client using standard TCP protocol
  - Stores information on mp3 (bitrate, duration, name, author, genre, date
    produced, last play date) in on-disk database.
  - Stores rating information supplied by the user (awful, bad, neutral,
    good, superb).
  - Has a comprehensive queuing system (track, album, random album, etc)
  - Random play chooses the songs that people currently on-line want to hear
    using their ratings of the songs.
  - Search facilities, status information, statistics, etc.
  - User management facilities, four levels of users, encrypted passwords.
  - Talker style communication (say, emote etc.)
  - Play, next, pause, stop, repeat, volume, bass, treble settings.
  - On-line and off-line track information editing.
  - Advanced filter facilities (e.g. 'john=superb', '!good', 'year>1990',
    'duration<180', 'genre=pop', 'john=good|fred=unheard' etc.)
  - Built-in telnet client (see manual).
  - Library interface, no need to write TCP code.
  - Comes with command line shell program for interfacing and web client to
    this shell program for web-based control.
  - Uses an external player to output, and is known to support mpg321, mpg123
    and freeamp - this could be used to broadcast the output or support other
    players.
  - Comes with a setuid wrapper for mpg123-compatible players that can
    increase the nice level for low-capability processors.
 .
 For more info see http://www.mserv.org

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie