You can try OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org).  It's built on the StarOffice
5.2 code, but they got rid of the integrated desktop thing.  Also, you
might want to do a search for Abiword.  I'm sure there are others, a
search on freshmeat might turn up something interesting.

As for an e-mail program, I use Pine, many people here use Mutt.  If you
want a GUI e-mail client, there are many.  Gnome has one or two, KDE has
at least one, Netscape/Mozilla has one.  You've almost certainly already
got one installed on your linux system if you are using either KDE or
Gnome.

http://www.gnome.org/
http://www.kde.org/

Some more information would be useful about what you want to do with a
database.  If you're looking for a database that you can connect to via
ODBC, either PostgreSQL or MySQL should work with the appropriate options
added/compiled.  If you want a database GUI that you can use as an ODBC
frontend to another database (like the way MS Access can be used to work
with ODBC data sources) then I really don't know what's available, but
again, a freshmeat search or a google search should turn up something.

http://www.freshmeat.net/
http://www.google.com/linux

Jeff