On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:04:49PM -0600, Jon Schewe wrote:
> Well I got it shrunk down so mindi built me some disks, 4 to be exact.  Now I
> can't write them.  They're 1.72MB and my drive keeps on telling me it's out of
> space when I try and write them using dd.  I can't remember if there's
> something else to do to the disks to make this work.

Before copying the images to diskette, you'll need to format the
diskettes as 1.72 MB.  The superformat program, typically included as
part of the fdutils package, works well for this purpose.  Example:

  # superformat /dev/fd0 sect=21 cyl=83

If it's not already defined on your system, you might need to create a
device entry for the 1.72 MB diskette.  Example:

  # mknod /dev/fd0u1743 b 2 76

Once formatted, you can dd your images onto the diskettes.  Example:

  # dd if=xyz.floppy of=/dev/fd0u1743 bs=1024

If you're looking for further information on this topic, the LRP web
site page on booting linux for 'higher' density diskettes might be a
good starting point:

  http://master-www.linuxrouter.org:8080/floppy.shtml

Joel