Need some advise.

We had a major attack on one of our servers that I could not seem to stop,
so we brought it down. I had people fromthe newsgroup inform me it had
been rooted. Most of the advise they gave me was over my head (for now).
The log files showed I had stopped things, but according to the nasty email
from major Universities and the Navy it wasn't as stopped as I thought.

I am in the process of trying to move my mrtg and RT stuff over to another
server. I am using ssh and scp. I would prefer to copy over whole
directories, but so far I can only see how to do files, which worked on a
test, but for some reason I get this error when attempting to use scp:

scp admin at x.x.x.x:*.* admin at x.x.x.x:
server asks for password to admin at host1 IP

I enter it, and get the following:

You have no controlling tty. Cannot read passphrase.
lost connection.

If I enter the wrong password, it will give me 2-3 more attempts before it
figures I am not going to get it right.

If I enter the correct password it gives me the error I mentioned.

I have used directory structure when attempting this too e.g
admin at x.x.x.x:/usr/local/mrtg/bin/*.* admin at x.x.x.x:/mrtg

Any idea how to resolve this?

--
Raymond Norton