"Raymond Norton" <admin at support.lctn.k12.mn.us> wrote:

> I am getting notices that a RedHAT server of mine is probing other
> networks. I need some advice on how to prevent this and find out what is
> occurring.The message info I received is below. I have since made sure the
> firewall is running and unnecessary ports including ftp are off. Any help
> to get on top of this would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly new, so
> please be specific.

Umm..  Cut power to your machine.  Boot up with tomsrtbt or a bootable
business card.  Use `dd' and `nc' (netcat) or ssh to copy the contents of
your hard drive partitions to another system.  Reinstall your system while
it is disconnected from the network or at least behind a firewall.  Run
up2date or whatever other utility you like to patch your system to
whatever is current.  Copy important data from the disk images back onto
your server, and then you'll be ready to have your computer on the network
again..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Syntactic sugar causes
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   cancer of the semicolon.