Not to bring up a sore spot topic, but I think we need to make a final
resolution to this question once and for all.  Whomever is handling the
web polls, this would be a good one to throw up on the site:

    Should the tclug-list include the "Reply-To" header for each email?

    1) Yes
    2) No
    3) I don't care, procmail will fix all

I recently saw another list "convert" to Reply-To munging because the
developers were getting tired of cross-posters and inattentive list
users abusing the Cc: and To: headers, thusly receiving multiple copies
of the same email.  The opinion of the list was that the majority of
users were Windows users that did not have the powerful enough email
clients to kill duplicates, so they switches to the more draconic
behavior of forcing list Reply-To's.

Because I do have the ability to use procmail, I've come to the recent
conclusion that I no longer care.  I can fix most things that list
servers break in email, including duplicates and Reply-To's.  Given that
Mailman is nice enough to move user-defined "Reply-To" fields to
"X-Reply-To", it's fairly easy to reverse.  This only strengthens my
platform in the "Do as you will" category.

Here, then, is the reverse for Mailman's Reply-To munging:

    # reverse listserver's reply-to munging
    :0 fHW
    * ^Reply-To:.*$
    * ^X-ReplyTo:.*$
    | formail -R Reply-To X-List-Reply-To -R X-Reply-To Reply-To

And general list reply-to munging reverse:

    # If To matches Reply-To, munge it as a X-List-Reply-To
    :0 fHW
    * ^Reply-To:.*\/[-a-zA-Z0-9.+=/]+@[-a-zA-Z0-9.+=/]+
    * $ ^TO($MATCH)
    | formail -R Reply-To X-List-Reply-To

Shall we vote via the web poll, or shall we simply resolve this thread
in stating that the policy is and will remain that
tclug-list at mn-linux.org is a "Reply-To" munging list.  The web poll is a
bit more democratic, the solution I would favor.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)