On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 07:15:56AM -0600, Carl & Paula Zeilon wrote:
> I'm going to do a fresh install of Mandrake 8.1 on a dual boot system with
> WinXP.  I've read that making a 7mg /boot partition makes it easy to use
> the Windows boot.ini file to choose operating systems.

Ask your money back :) /boot partition has nothing to do with windows at
all... It was employed back when lilo had problems booting kernels that
were located beyond cylinder 1024. Now, having a /boot partition is only
for "purists" like me that have / /usr /var /var/cache /var/mail /usr
/usr/local /home ... and the reason is that you can mount /boot
read-only and if something messes up you system, you can still boot and
try to recover.

>                                                         I also now have
> 512mg of ram.  Does the 2x rule still apply for the swap partition?

Not since 2.4.10.

>                                                                      This
> seams like overkill (and a waste of drive space).  In the past I've been
> using a 4.5gb /  & a 3.0gb /home.  How does this sound?  This is just a
> home machine with no server duties.  Thanks

Should be ok.

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4