On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 04:06:58PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 10:51:03AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up a terminal on one box to act like it's on
> > another one.
>
> so is this basically trying to let you telnet to a device attached to a
> serial port on a machine?

Nope, other way around.  It's a Wyse terminal hooked up as a serial
device on Box A and I want it to act like it's hooked up to Box B.
The obvious way of accomplishing this is to run 'telnet Box B' on
the serial device instead of getty, I just need to figure out how to
make it run there instead of on the VT that starts the process...

(The terminals in question can't be connected to Box B directly
because they're on serial hubs and the drivers for those hubs are
buggy.  Occasionally, a hub will drop off the net and refuse to come
back until the controlling host is rebooted.  Worse, trying to send
data to a port on a crashed hub will sometimes lock up the host.  Box
B is our main database server, so needing to reboot it is Very Bad
and having it lock up is Far Worse.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss