Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

> What would you rather have, extremely outdated packages (Yes, it's 6/2002
> now!), or the hassle of dropping those rpm's into a directory somewhere
> and typing:

Making such statements on such corner applications is so misleading I
don't feel the need to argue about this, however...  I'll be happy to
avoid rpms flaws in dependencies. (file deps, versioned deps that might
be asking for something in a different dist, thank god mandrake renames
their versions to make their end of the pool sane)

Some people really dont care that theres a bleeding edge package out
now, but that what they are using is considered non-crack by the
maintainer.  If its true that the current revision is non-crack and
should be packaged, file a bug.  If the maintainer doesn't give a rats
ass and can't seem to care, find someone else to package it or do it
yourself.

If none of those work, it shouldn't be packaged in the first place for
lack of interest.  If you cant find one DD to care enough about it and
you can't find one user who can't volunteer some time, oh well.

Yes, we know the devlopment cycle sucks right now.  This will be a major
topic later this week in Toronto I'm guessing.  Many proposals want
targets of 6-12 months without making major infrastructure changes.  I'm
personally up for point releases with unchanged base and many
end-user-application updates, with major releases having the big
infrastructure changes. (new dpkg, new init system, etc.)  The nasty
problem about this is that the debian development infrastructure does
not lend itself to this sort of development.  I'm not exactly sure yet
how to attack that issue yet other than create infrastructure outside of
debian to experiment.

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/