On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 09:19, Jay Kline wrote:
> I have DHCP set up on my laptop, and when it cannot find a DHCP server, it
> seems to "disable" the interface entirely. I can try and mannually assign an
> IP address on the network, but everything on the network is still unreachable
> (with the exection of my own IP).  I checked to see if any iptables/chains
> were set up, but that dosnt seem to be the culpret.  The only way around it
> is to set the interface to a static IP and reboot (or go to runlevel 1 and
> back, which is almost the same thing)
>
> Any ideas why this is happening?

My laptop running Mandrake 8.1 does exactly the same thing. It is,
indeed, normal for the interface to not be brought up at all if the dhcp
client can't get an address. So you will need to manually configure it.

I will probably be flamed hairless for this, but I generally just use
linuxconf to manually configure my card on the occasions that I need to.
After the card is manually configured in linuxconf, it will be smart
enough to restart the network, and I am up in a few seconds, without any
rebooting.

Once I am back in a dhcp-served environment, I again use linuxconf to
set eth0 back to dhcp. However, when I do this, linuxconf does not
realize that I need to restart network services, since eth0 is already
up. So in this case, I just run "service network restart" and I am back
to using dhcp in a few seconds, again without rebooting.

NOTE: I am well aware of the disadvantages of linuxconf, and I really
never use it except for this one purpose. The only reason I do is
because I never bothered to learn the proper command-line syntax. Since
someone else already posted the syntax "ifconfig eth0 <x.x.x.x> netmask
<x.x.x.x> up" I will give that a try, and learn the "right" way of doing
it.

--
Dave Sherman               Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA             for you are crunchy,