I'm pretty sure that the first part here is intentional. If a DHCP
card is unable to find an address, than it isn't brought up at all.  this
isn't specific to RH7.3, as I've seen the same occur on 6.x& 7.2.
	How are you trying to bring the inferface up?  if you're using
"ifup eth0" then that will only re-attempt to get a dhcp address.  have
you issued an "ifconfig eth0 <ip.add.my.sys> netmask <net.for.cur.net> up"
?  I think I've got that syntax right. that *should* bring the interface
up on that ip until you bounce the system. (ifconfig on RH doesn't change
the boot config, only assigns for current use)
	if that's what you're already doing, then I'd say this is goofy to
RH7.3, in which case, I've done a lot on typing for naught.

	-chris