Lugheads,

Got Debian on the laptop, and I am impressed.  I installed a small
set from an older Potato CD set, pointed it at Debian site and did
the apt-get on a bunch of Woody software.  It auto-magically updated
and installed all of this in a few hours time with very little
attention from me.

I know why no one offered to burn me Woody CD's, it's about 7 CD's
for the full set of binary pkgs!  Debian lists a bunch of sites
that will sell the CD's for reasonable cost($24-$40).
Someone had source disks on 2 DVD's and cost around $40.
I probably don't even need them, given apt-gets abilities.

I understand apt-get now can be run on RedHat and can fetch
RPM's.  While there are a lot of very handy features with
the rpm package, I find the central repository that the
Debian army maintains to be very handy.  In other words,
most of the things I want to try out are in the
Debian collection.   And my experience with apt-get has
shown it works great.

I don't think that can be said for RedHat and RPM's.
RedHat 7.3 is three disks, right?  So that means Debian
probably has 7/3 more packages on their distro.
Also, anything outside of RedHat's three disks is bound
to be "questionable" concerning it's interoperability,
source and availability(back to RPM hell).

I believe I need to start hanging out on some Debian
lists to learn more.  I'll miss rpm's ability to map
files to packages, and packages to files, hopefully
there is a way to do this with Debian.