Our school looked for quite a while for a Linux based filter and didn't
find anything very useful.

Problem is that you really want to get a subscription to a filter list.
Most of the filter companies will not rent the list, but only their full
service.

We ended up with using a stand alone filter called iPrism from St
Bernard.  It has a filter list that is updated automatically every night
and allows for areas of restriction.  My school wanted the standard
smutt filter, but many of the services also filtered religious material
which we, being a christian school, wanted access to.

The list for the hardware is ~$5000, but we were able to talk them down
to ~$3000.  There is also a $100/mo subscription fee.

We compared this to Surf Patrol, etc. and this was the better (and
cheaper) answer in the long run.

It would be wonderful if we could get St. Barnard to support a interface
to squid.