We send tons of mail to hotmail users daily, and it will not matter what you
use to send mail there, it will always be slow.  You will see many timeouts,
and you will experience occational bounces for users that exist.  It is the
nature of the undermaintained beast MS has created there.  I cant speak for
the other sites, but the best thing you can do for hotmail is to just be
patient. If sendmail appears to be doing nothing else when trying to send to
hotmail (as it times out) there may be a problem with sendmail, but it should
be able to handle several connections to various servers at once.  We just
set our timeouts low so they can get past them faster and retry more often.

Jay