Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Linux email server question
>> Samsung OpenMail.  I don't know if it's out yet though.  They bought it
>> from HP, and were making improvements before re-releasing it.
>>
>> Jay
>
>I have a demo disk somewhere on my desk.  Not sure as to the limitations,
but
>I think they will send you a copy if you ask.  From my little bit of reading
>about and considering OpenMail, if they kept most of the features, it would
>be a competent replacement for Exchange Server.  Nice set of command line
>tools to work on individual mailboxes rather than the glob database that
>Exchange uses.  I should set up the demo and do a comparison.
>
>I know OpenMail had a "free" license for Linux installs that allowed up to
50
>licenses for free (annually renewed).  I don't seem to see a similar
offering
>for Samsung Contact.
>
>If you are after "full" support for a closed client with a proprietary
>protocol, I would say that would be asking a bit much.
>
>Plus Samsung Contact is just another proprietary set of tools that would
seem
>to be tied to a commercial entity that could up and die tomorrow.
>
>Kelly Black
>KB0GBJ

OpenMail kicks butt. We used to use it at our company before Office 2002
came out. It only requires 2 ports to do everything. Have you ever read
Microsoft's documentation on using Exchange behind a firewall? Its a joke.
Basically you can use the web interface, or *TRY* to get the correct ports
open (12+ by the way) by modifying the registry and trial and error. Its a
nightmare. I was really happy using (and administering) OpenMail, but it
did not work with Outlook 2002. Microsoft took out all the compatibility
for generic MAPI, which is what OpenMail used. Not my choice to switch to
2002, but we got those stupid Microsoft drones at work, so its hard for one
voice to be heard.

Aton.