Ben Lutgens writes:
 > On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 10:00:17AM -0500, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
 > >
 > >I was wondering if any of you have experience debugging cron jobs.
 > >
 > >Here's my problem:  I have three cron jobs that I run from root's
 > >crontab that look like this (with variations for different uids):
 > >
 > >0 1 * * *       su rpg -c /home/rpg/bin/backup-machine1
 >
 > Are you using rsyncd? If not, you're probably trying to tunnel over ssh.
 > put "export RSYNC_RSH="ssh" at the top of your backup-machine1 script.

Actually, I'm not tunneling at all --- the machine in question
("machine1") has exported a home directory using nfs.  The backing up
machine (on which the cron job runs) mounts it through the
automounter.  So it's a virtually local rsync.

[the above is a little oversimplified.  I have two machines, machine1
and machine2.  machine2 is running the cron job.  I have a homedir on
machine1 and a homedir on machine2.  machine1 exports two directories:
the home directory and a place to put backups.  so what happens is
/home/rpg (machine2) --> /misc/backup/rpg (really on machine1) and
/misc/rpg (really on machine1) --> /backup/rpg (really on machine2).
But these both look local to machine 2.

So I shouldn't be using rsh or any substitute, as far as I can tell.