I need to recompile the kernel on a new installation of Mandrake 8.2.  I need to have soundcore be built in to the kernel and not a module.  I am using aureal module for a montego A3D soundcard

Here are the steps that I go through.
make xconfig.
Change the setting for the sound
Turn off all 3rd party modules because paep does not compile and I don't think that I need them
Turn off version checking for the loading of modules because that was a problem
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
maek modules
make modules_install
copy over the bzImage, overwriteing the old kernel
reboot

When the system is comeing backup I get a bunch of unresolved symbols in busybox the is stops with a kernel crash

Please Help.  This is the only thing (I thnk) that is preventing my dad from using linux

TIA
John Miller