Not a Number went bankrupt, so they're not currently distributing
Blender.  They're exploring possibilities as to what to do with it,
since it's one of their biggest assets.  There was a story about it on
Slashdot a few months back, so you can probably dig it up there.

As for ray tracing, in 'Programming Linux Games' they used AC3D
(http://www.ac3d.org) and exported the file in .pov format.  AC3D isn't
free, but I've heard good things.  Checking out their site, they now
have python scripts to allow importing Blender models as well.

Michael Vieths
Foeclan at Visi.com