doug wrote:
> As far as the salary goes, check out www.salary.com. But I imagine that
> ~$60k/year is about right (I could be wrong, I'm not a linux sysadmin).

I think its a little high.  You better have more than just linux
administration under your belt in this economy to make that much.
Networking or Solaris experience or something, or lots of experience
with storage solutions, not just a 'Hi! I've been working on a small
network of machines for 5 years! Let me play with that 10TB fibrechannel
array!"; etc.. Systems administration is much too large to just smack a
value on a vague description.  I bet many of us could give you a better
ballpark with a better description.

Perhaps during the boom, but in this area I don't see $60k for everyone.
  with 2-5yrs exp.

I believe that civil service individual salaries are public information,
but I would want to check before I divulge personal information.  If its
public, theres no reason to hide it.  I know the pay scales are public,
and can be found at www.umn.edu/ohr/, but the pay scale is for a large
group of people, not just linux admins.  Look for the "Info Tech Prof."
(Professional) category.

> Personally I have 10 days a year, plus 2 floating holidays, for a total
> of 12, and I think I'm below average too...

>>Along with that, but more vauge... what's an average number of days off
>>a year given to salaried employes? My Employer things we are *above*
>>average at 10 days. Sheesh.

Basically, where I work its done on how many years of service you've put
in.  We accumilate at a certian set minutes per hour.  I believe that I
get ~2.25wks total when I started out with one personal floating
holiday.  This can all easily be verified by going to www.umn.edu/ohr/
and finding the civil service rulebook/handbook.  Also look into the
V-Class vs. non-V-Class stuff. (exempt vs non-exempt employees.
exemptees get more vacation/wk for the forfiture of overtime compensation)

I would have found the exact links, but I write much of my listmail in a
disconnected state on my way into work (Yay for mass transit!), so its
not really possible. (Well, not until richochet comes back.)

Ooo. flipped pizza truck! cool! (on east river road)

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/