On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 14:49, Raymond Norton wrote:
> I have been trying to get my Xp machine to work with samba on my RedHat
> box, but to no avail. XP does Sees the shares on my NT machine just fine.
> It would be nice if there was a quick fix, but it seems I need to upgrade
> samba. (If I am wrong please correct me).
>
> I downloaded  samba and tried to do a -U. This is what I get:
>
> [root at support admin]# rpm -U samba-2.2.4-2.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>                samba = 2.0.10 is needed by samba-swat-2.0.10-2

I just double-checked my print/file server:

# smbd -V
Version 2.0.5a

On my other workstation:

# /usr/sbin/smbd -V
Version 2.2.1a

My users of XP Pro have no problems seeing it, printing to it, or saving
to it.  Really, the only difference that I see is that with 2.0.5 you
need to specify the full sharename (\\server\share) because they don't
show up when you do just \\server.  But since the users want them mapped
to My Network Places, it really isn't a big deal.  And it might be a
.conf setting, but since no one needs that ability I haven't bothered
checking into it.

I remember a story a long time ago that XP was suppose to be
incompatible, but in my case that hasn't been so.  In more recent
history, I seem to have this faint memory that I've had problems with
Samba too, but I think that was with Windows ME.

--
Brent Metzler                               | AIM: bmetzl1999
brent at bmetzler.org			    | Y! : bmetzl1999