"bfriedman at excite.com" <bfriedman at excite.com> writes:

> I have been a developer for a long time, but am fairly new to the
> admin role.  I have a machine at home that I need to use to host
> some nonprofit sites on (anyone else have friends that bug you about
> all things computer because they think you are a geek?!?!?!  ;)

That's a lot like me, though I moved my Fidonet BBS to Linux before
around 1993 and put my own server up on the web sometime after that
(but before domain registration cost money).  Which may mean I'm not
your best source of help, too.

[snip]

> So what I'm looking for is someone that is familiar with general
> small server setup that could help to end my constant frustrations
> with named, iptables, and fun stuff like that.  I don't need
> anything elaborate, just some basic solid setup help with several
> tools.

Although I don't at the moment have a job dragging down my schedule, I
still find myself pretty busy.  But this sounds like *exactly* the
environment I've been running for a few years now (well, okay, it's a
Cisco 675 over here).  Running named, iptables, apache, email, and
such, for a few dozen virtual domains.

So I'll try to help, if you don't get a better offer.  We should
probably take the details to email, or phone if you want (I'm listed,
and in whois for that matter).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net