> I have an old IBM Thinkpad 380 laptop that I am trying to build up to
> use as my  firewall.  I have successfully installed Debian Potato, but
> am running into a  slight problem.  On startup, it appears that it's
> trying to start the  networking services before the PCMCIA services.
> Naturally, this won't work.   In order to get the NIC's to pick up
> their correct address, I have to do a  networking restart.  Then things
> work fine.
>
> Any ideas on how to switch the startup order of these
>
> Thanks!
> -Erik

If you look in /etc/init.d/rcX.d, where X is your multiuser runlevel (which
I'm pretty sure is 3, but maybe I'm wrong on that), you will see a mess of
symlinks to shell scripts, e.g., S05init, S40inetd, S99pcmica, et cetera.

When you enter the multiuser runlevel (e.g., when you get done with fsck and
start system services during boot), the scripts in that directory which
start with 'S' get run in order with the argument 'start'.  When you leave
that runlevel, the scripts which start with 'K' get run in order with the
argument 'stop'.

Therefore, it is my guess that your installation somehow got those two
scripts in the wrong order, e.g., S35pcmcia and S45network. To fix it all
you have to do is 'mv S45network S30network' (as root, of course), and it
*should* just work.

This is also a useful place to look when you are trying to prune services
off of a box (but I don't *want* to be an NFS, NTP, and print server!).

Hope this helps!

--
Chris Johnson Bidler