>What does it mean when you get "blacklisting" in the log as the modem is
>trying to connect?

Not sure about that one.

>I have been frustrated/disappointed by the amount of time it takes for the
>modem to connect - nearly three minutes - and never getting more then 26400
>connection speed.

You may want to try putting something like this for the CONNECT line in your
pppscript:

CONNECT 56000/ARQ/V90/MNP/MNP5

This sets up the v.90 protocols. I was going around and around myself a
while back and I finally figured it out by looking at the windows modem .inf
files for my modem...sad I know but it was the only help I could find (see
signature).

anyway, hope that helps

---
Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.