John Goerg <john at krwc1360.com> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
> > Jumping 5 or 6 or 8 to 20 doesn't do anything (other than lighting the
> > light associated with 5, 6, or 8 on the breakout box).  But it isn't
> > detected either by my program or by the UPS monitoring programs I've
> > tried. When I run my monitoring program it reports one value, then
> > instantly
> > another value, then never reports a change again.  The initial change
> > is *before* I do anything to make a change at the breakout box.  It
> > very probably represents some sort of bug in the program, possibly
> > even a bug that makes the whole test invalid; I just haven't figured
> > out what it *is* yet.
> > If I control/c out, and then run it immediately again, I get exactly
> > the same behavior (and exactly the same values), which I take as
> > additional evidence that the output isn't responding to reality.
>
> Try this David,  tie pins 4 + 5 to the computer together and test again.
> Most of the newer computers (post Pentium) need 4+5 jumpered or 5
> connected to something else for the serial port to function.  I
> would'nt think you would need this just to scan the port but
> maybe...........

Still nothing (and on a different computer from the first try, so
different serial port).  I did find a couple of bugs in my monitor
program (in particular, the initial apparent change was a bug), but it
hasn't made any difference yet.

Oh; are your "4" and "5" for a 9-pin or a 25-pin connector?  Since
they're RTS and CTS on 25-pin, I'm guessing that's what you mean.
That's what I tried, anyway.

Neither of them has any signal on it according to the breakout box,
either.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net