Miller, John wrote:

> I have att in columbia heights and mine quit working this morning.  I have noticed a lot of traffic across my modem even when  the interface is down.
>
> I am running the dhclient and it still can't get an ip.   Any thoughts on why?  I am running on dial backup, very painful.

If you run "tcpdump -p -n -ieth0" when the interface is up and nothing much is
going on, you'll see lots (up to 10 per second) of "arp who-has" requests, often
more then one call for the same address within seconds of each other.  All of the
addresses being queried are those sharing the same local AT&T network gateway.
So who's doing all the ARP requests?  That same network gateway box.

Yeah, it's probably broken, but have you ever tried to tell AT&T's tech support
anything that wasn't draped in "windowsese"?

As to getting an IP when your current DHCP setup stops working?  I downloaded
dhcpcd-1.3.22-pl1.tar.gz from http://www.tldp.org and followed the directions
for building/installing and it works just fine now.

Hope this helps,

-S