if simple and generic is what you are after you could try using the Nth
extention.

http://netfilter.samba.org/documentation/HOWTO//netfilter-extensions-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.7

of course this is more of a load balancing solution.

Here is what I think you want using the iproute2 package.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.1

Have fun.