John Goerg <john at krwc1360.com> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>  >No, the normal way to monitor the discrete ouput (stupid) UPSs has
>  >always been through a serial port (but not with a standard serial
>  >cable).  There are a bunch of lines you can directly monitor and
>  >control on a serial port -- DCD, DTR, DSR, CTS, RI, stuff like that.
>
> Yes, that works too, I just didn't know you were hardware hacking that
> much.:)

Well, cable building anyway.  I don't hack with active components;
relays are right out at the limit of my competence.  (Okay, I did once
optimize some gate sequences in a semi-custom VLSI chip to shave a
nanosecond or something off the worst-case throughput time, but that
was my *mathematician* hat; I don't have a hardware designer hat.)

> David Dyer-Bennet also wrote:
>  >I think I've got a valid cable.  I can see on the breakout box how
>  >various lines change state when the UPS changes state.
>
> OK, sounds like you got your cabling under control, back to the
> software. ( Something I don't know anything about!) Good Luck.

I've had enough different cable designs fail to tickle enough
different software that I have to verify that the port works (swap the
modem from the other port).  And after that I'm going to have to write
my own program to monitor the signal line state and report changes;
everything I've tried is comlex enough that I can't be sure I'm using
it right.

(Software is something I *do* know something about.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net