On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 04:58:37PM -0500, Karl Bongers wrote:
> My main objective is to try and avoid software bloat.  ...[snip]...
> So I'd like to load an older distro and then do selective upgrades,
> trying to avoid too much GUI bloat that cloggs the arteries.  Not sure
> if Debian is the solution, but its worth a look.

Certainly worth a try.  I know my typical installation proceedure is to
install the base system, between 40 and 60 megs, and then quit out of
dselect.  I then install things individually.  This does two things for
you: 1) You learn by necessity what is needed and what is not needed on
your system, 2) You become comfortable using a non-graphical interface
for installing software.  apt is a wonderful tool.  I always use "apt-get
install -u package" so I can see what additional packages are needed to
install the target package.

Good luck!  (The woody installation works well, BTW.)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie