I just put together a new system with a Soyo Dragon Ultra MoBo, which
includes a high-point IDE raid chip.  I put 2 IBM 40Gb drives on it and
configured it for Raid 0+1 (striping and mirroring).  Mobo, AMD 1800+,
256Mb PC2700, 2 drives, and a desktop case (I hate towers) for $565 at
newegg. So far, it's been working great. The MoBo also has 4 USB slots,
6 channel sound, and built in LAN.

I was originally looking at the Dragon Plus, but this just came out and
seems to solve many of the complaints about the Plus.

Mike Hicks wrote:

> I've been thinking about putting together some sort of RAID system for
> my home system, just to give myself a little extra layer of protection.
> However, I don't really want to figure out how to fit another two or
> three drives into my system.  Putting drives outside the box has
> problems, though, since IDE cables aren't really meant to go there..
>
> Going outside the box probably means using SCSI, FireWire, or USB 2.0.
> SCSI would be nice, but it's expensive, and I'm sure that any IDE<->SCSI
> bridges probably cost quite a bit.  USB scares me a bit, so I've been
> looking at what can be done with FireWire.
>
> Anyway, I guess I'll just outline my thoughts and see if anyone thinks
> it's a stupid idea or what..
>
> I'm thinking of scrounging up an enclosure of some kind (probably an old
> SCSI box), ripping out any extra guts, putting in 3 or 4 IDE drives, and
> using FireWire<->IDE bridges to connect them to a FireWire bus.
>
> Optimistically, I think I could pull it off for about $500, but maybe
> I'm just deluding myself..
>
> Is this a stupid idea?  Should I just do SCSI instead, or buy a new
> case?
>
> --
>  _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   The more things change, the
> / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   more they stay insane.
> [ Mike Hicks | http://umn.edu/~hick0088/ | mailto:hick0088 at tc.umn.edu ]

>                        Name: signature.asc
>    signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

Wayne Johnson,             | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003             | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis