Have you considered Fibre Channel? That would be the way I would go if I
wanted to build an array. Its not too expencive either, you can find some
cheap Fibre Channel drives on ebay or a few other places I know of. Plus there
is no limit on how many you can add to the loop. That way you can keep all of
your drives outside the case, or even in your closet, and wont have to get a
new case. And if you do it right you can do it for much cheaper than $500.