Diddo on the phone off the hook.

When I was a teenager and didn't know any better, I used to strip the wires
with my teeth. You wanna talk about a jolt!

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Wayne Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 8:23 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Cc: Troy.A#032#Johnson#034##060#troy.johnson at toro.com
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] [OT] Books on phone / dsl wiring

In addition, I would suggest that the demarc (or bridge as some of the
old timers call it), be attached to a "network interface".  This is a
simple rj11/13 socket and jack unit that will allow you to disconnect
the house wiring from the telco side.  If you have a problem with your
phone service, simple disconnect the house wires and plug in a phone to
see if your problem is the telco or the house wiring.

There is two classes of wire.  Cat3 has 4 wires (2 pair) and is used for
most phone wiring.  Of these wires, there are two ways to wire it.  In
RJ11, only the red and green carry the phone signals and the yellow and
black remain unused.  This is typical for most house wiring.  RJ13
extends RJ11 by placing a second phone line on the yellow/black pair.
You can get RJ13 phones and splitters at Radio Shack.  Cat3 can not be
used for LAN wiring.  To connect cat3 wire, you can use a punchdown
terminal block, or there are small button sized "wire nuts".  Keep the
amount of wire outside the sheath to a minimum to reduce noise.  Cat3
wire, modular RJ11/13 & RJ45 sockets, and just about anything else can
be found at Home Depot.

Cat5[e] wire is used for LAN, specifically 10baseT.  This wire has 4
twisted pair wires.  Cat5 can be used to carry phone signals, just be
very sure that you don't connect a phone line to a lan card :{(>  I
would recommend that if your using cat5 cable for phone, that you put
RJ11/13 sockets in.  RJ45 (LAN) plugs won't fit into an RJ11/13 socket.
If you decide to use the run for LAN later, change the plug.  You need
to keep the amount of exposed wire on LAN wiring to less than 1/2" (for
100BaseT). Most LAN specs also require no more than 4 socket/plug pairs
per run.  No this plugs into that, which plugs into this.

I suggest that if you do any phone wire work, that you take one phone
off the hook.  The ring signal runs between 70 and 110 volts and can
give you a good jolt.  Taking a phone off the hook will prevent it from
ringing.

I wired my house for RJ13.  On the utility board I put a 2 socket plate,
where I put the DSL filter.  The output of the filter goes to the R/G
pair and the unfiltered goes to the Y/B pair.  That way I only need one
filter and I can connect the DSL to any of the phone jacks.

Bruce Broecker wrote:

> Uggh, I'm going to have to get this list at home, at least Pegasus can
burst digest mail.

> Anyway, to Troy's question, Yes, that four post block is your demarc. I've
got the same thing in my house. As a matter of fact, when I ordered the
second line, they put another one in just like it. The posts are tied
together in pairs and the inbound telco line will terminate on one side of
that block. You simply need to hook up to the other side of it. When I moved
in, there was about a dozen pairs of single pair wire wrapped around that
second pair of terminals. I had no end of trouble with my phones until I
broke it out onto a punch down.

> Bruce

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:07:58 -0500
> From: "Troy.A Johnson" <troy.johnson at health.state.mn.us>
> To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
> Subject: Re: [TCLUG] [OT] Books on phone / dsl wiring
>
> Lots of good information on pricing and stuff,
> many thanks!
>
> However, I should have been more specific
> in my question. I want more information/specs/
> standards for telco to home connections.
>
> My reason for asking is that I have searched around
> on the web and found that most demarc units
> described/pictured look like gray boxes on the
> side of ones house with a telco side and an
> enduser side. Mine comes from the pole, in through
> a hole in the house, and terminates at a four post
> connection block that looks as old as the house
> (35 years). I am wondering if the block is my demarc,
> or is it on the post. I also want more detail, but
> I'll take whatever is offered. :-)
>
> Thanks again, you guys are great!
>
> Troy

Wayne Johnson,             | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003             | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis